Monday, December 10, 2007

Blog 8 My Rob Blog

I got to know Rob really well from 2 major experiences. One was his birthday; the second our trip to China. Just have to put it out there, but I think Rob is amazing. That Persian! He calls me “Araaab”. Now what is behind that I don’t know, but he is kindest one I ever met, especially someone from America! His birthday was the same night my Philipinoes were going to be gone and I have to say, had their departure not started out with me going to Rob’s party, I might of had some horrible beginnings of a lonely weekend that lay ahead. Nothing can quite capture what Rob is like, you just have to be around him… and hear him.

Everything he says pretty much is more than just funny, it’s like deep and funny, like an amazing cake that is rich from the inside and is sprinkled with the most perfect complexion of all these intricate and most exquisite toppings!! Among some of the things he said that night, and this I actually wrote on my phone and saved as a draft because it’s my absolute favorite, “Pepperdine is a vacuumed, sealed, airTIGHT coffin where………….(pause)…………….. DEAD people go to school.” I’m laughing as I type this now, my shivering fingers instead remembering the moment I covered my whole face as I heard this… I laughed my tonsils out that night I think my hair stood up. Just remembering Rob’s hand motions and face expressions as Matt, Cindy, Benyam, Nick, and I all gather on a huge round table in Felix just to hear him tell the waiter, “this [champagne] tastes like a dead cat under a rotten truck’s tire” (or something like that) five times brightens up my mood.

And then China! Oh man where to begin? The 30 ties he bought for 100RMBafter Michael bought one 1 for 50? Or maybe helping me pick out earnings? Or no, the Chinese restaurant with the chilli plate and some chicken on it? OR nooooo, the GREAT WALL OF CHINA and ghost busters!! Everything that happened on this trip was out of a comedy show—because of Rob, especially Rob and Chris combined. And I can never forget that my amazing Chinese group was there for me, taking care of me when I got sick in that cold hostel. My fever was actually gone the next morning after Rob and Michael forced me wake up and take the medicine they went to buy. I love you guys! That China trip was the best. Shanghai and Beijing were mind-glowing, a historical perspective reminiscent of a real Chinese legend, dating back from the Great Wall of China in Beijing to the towers of Shanghai. I loved every speck of it, enjoyed every moment with Matt and Cindy, Michael, Chris and Rob on the buses, trains, in the towers and local diners, and especially BARGAING in the markets. Everything was superb all the way around.

No comments: